Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Busy Day in the Kitchen!

(Photo Credit)
I went grocery shopping the other day, mostly for cleaning supplies, canned goods, and meat. I got 5 lbs of ground beef and a large pack of chicken thighs. Yesterday I simmered the chicken and made some broth for the freezer. Today I de-boned and shredded the chicken, separating it into meal-sized portions. At the same time I did that, I was browning the ground beef on the stove. I put most of it in the fridge to cool off for packaging later, but I reserved the fat and about 1/2 lb of browned beef to make some hamburger gravy. We'll put that over our mashed potatoes for dinner. We're having some tasty green smoothies on the side. I picked up 3 decent papayas at Gleaner's last week, which I peeled, chopped, and froze overnight on a cookie sheet. This afternoon, I filled a quart sized freezer bag with the fruit for smoothies.

So, what's going in our smoothies tonight?
2 lg handfuls fresh spinach
2 C. milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey
1 med banana
2 C. frozen fruit, such as papaya, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, etc.
Echinacea/goldenseal tincture
Vitamin D drops

Yummy!

No comments: