Monday, February 25, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Buckwheat & Cornmeal Pancakes

The other morning before I took Dorothy to school, I was in the mood for some nice, hearty pancakes. I couldn't decide whether to make them with buckwheat flour or cornmeal, so I decided to try both, and I was really pleased with how they turned out. They were moist, fluffy, and delicious! I topped mine with natural almond butter, but they would also be wonderful with maple syrup, honey, or molasses. For a lighter topping, try yogurt or applesauce.


Apple Cinnamon Buckwheat & Cornmeal Pancakes
1 C unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 C buckwheat flour
1/2 C cornmeal
2 Tbsp agave nectar, honey, or raw sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
1/4 C dried apples, diced
1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 C buttermilk
3 tbsp oil

Stir together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk together until moistened. Pour by 1/4 to 1/3 C onto hot oiled griddle. Cook until bubbles form and begin to pop (under side should be golden brown), then flip and cook until other side is golden brown. 

Serve hot with your favorite topping.


No comments: