Monday, March 28, 2011

Transplanting is fun!

Over the past few days, I've been working on transplanting some of my veggies to larger containers outside. I am putting them out in the sun during the day and moving them back into the garage at night, or if it's too rainy. Here are the brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, cabbage, and onions.

And here are the tomatoes. If they do well, I'll be giving a couple away since we only have room for 2.

These will be kept under the window in the garage with the peppers, which need to stay warm in their mini greenhouse for now. In here I have green bell peppers and jalapenos, both of which are just beginning to sprout.

I've been using mostly Black Gold organic potting soil in my containers.

But when I transplant, I'm adding a layer of organic compost close to the top as my fertilizer, then I am mixing it in with some more of the soil.

The girls had fun running around in the driveway this morning while I worked on getting the onions and tomatoes transplanted. It feels amazing to dig my hands in the dirt and start getting this done. Hopefully all the veggies yield a good crop for us. Even though it's my first year gardening, I'm hopeful that it will go well.

Later today I am going shopping at Gleaner's and then stopping by the grocery store on the way home. We've spent all but about $40 of the grocery and household money for the month. I'm hoping to have a bit left over, but it will depend on what's available today. We've been going through a lot of eggs and fruit lately, so we'll likely be buying more of those in the next week. I'm hoping to place an order with Azure Standard soon, too. That will likely use a lot of April's budget, but you get a lot for your money.

Monday's Munchies
B: Cream of Wheat, fried eggs, and sliced pears.
L: Vegetable, beef, and wheat berry soup with cornbread.
D: Mini flatbread pizzas.

No comments: