Monday, November 06, 2006

Seattle

Saturday I took a day trip to Seattle with David's sister Hannah. Her little girl Emily is 19 months old and her little boy Simon is 4 1/2 months old. Hannah's best friend Katharine lives up there and she also has two children. Her little girl Zoe is two years old and her little boy Jamin is 9 months old. We were able to fit (very snugly) the 3 carseats in the back of my car. Our plan was to leave by 7:00 am, but with 3 babies you can imagine that we didn't leave by 7:00. It was more like 8:30 because Dorothy would not wake up to eat before we wanted to leave. What do you know, but she woke up right as I was putting her in the car to leave. So we went back in the house. She ate. We left. Simon and Dorothy slept pretty much the whole way (3 1/2 hr. drive). Simon woke up about 30 minutes before we got there because he was hungry. Emily was having a hard time, though; one because she was bored; two because she had been weaned from her binky about 2 weeks prior. When she seemed close to a meltdown we fished a binky out of Dorothy's diaper bag. Emily never did fall asleep, but she did calm down with the binky. We got there around lunch time and after the kids went down for a nap, we girls went out to coffee. We had a pretty relaxing day (as relaxing as you can get with 5 kids). I took a nap and we got Chinese food for dinner before we had to head back. The weather was awful for driving, with frequent downpours throughout the drive up and back. Hannah read our book club book for the month (In Cold Blood) as I drove. Emily had another meltdown on the way back, but we had lost the binky from earlier in the day, so we finally had to use one of the soothie binkys from the hospital. It did the trick, and all the kids slept the whole way home. In all, it was a good day. I was glad I went even though I had been reconsidering going the night before. Of course it helped that Dorothy had gotten her shots because she slept ALL DAY.

This is what happens when you try to take a picture of 5 kids at the same time:



And this is all of us with our kids a few weeks ago (obviously me on the left, Hannah in the middle and Katharine on the right):

3 comments:

my4kids said...

so cute but aww Simon looks like he's gonna cry in the last one. I have pics of trying to get all my kids plus my neices in a picture together but gave up and let them all make funny faces. it actually came out really cute. I will have to post it sometime. We have pics though when they were all babies Maddie a newborn plus a one year old two 2 yr olds a 4 yr old and a 5 yr old it is really hard!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I'm so jealous! I absolutely love Seattle and am dying to get out there soon...it's been to long!

Ashley said...

reading your blog has given me hope..I just lost my baby on october 30th due to an incompatent cervix. she was 5 months along. Does the pain ever get easier? I was also wondering how long you had to wait to try for another baby?