Thursday, April 07, 2011

Crock Pot Chili

I always love using the crock pot and having dinner ready when David comes home with relatively little effort. Since I was still feeling a bit under the weather yesterday morning, I set up the crock pot and put in a batch of chili. It simmered all day, and we came home to a comforting smell in our home. We served it with grated cheese and some warm cheddar jalepeno focaccia bread.
Here is what I put in the pot:

 Crock Pot Chili
1 1/2 lbs dried red beans, sorted and rinsed
29 oz. can of tomato sauce
15 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2-1 lb ground beef, browned
1 c. frozen corn
1 lg onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Chili powder, crushed red pepper, cumin, and salt to taste
Enough water to fill the rest of the pot & allow the beans to expand
(I normally add a chopped green pepper, too, but we didn't have one)

I stirred all the ingredients together and set the pot to the 8 hr. setting. I took the lid off once to stir it later in the cooking time, but that's it. So quick and easy, and really yummy!
This post has been linked to The Grocery Cart Challenge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmy!!!