Thursday, March 10, 2011

Yesterday's shopping trip with Dorothy

We switched dinner plans up yesterday since we needed to use up the rest of the sauerkraut on some hot dogs and I was already going to the store for some other things. Dorothy was really excited to come to the grocery store with me after David got home from work yesterday. Most of what we got was from WIC checks, but I did pay cash for a few items.

WIC items
2 doz eggs
3 gal 1% milk
1 frozen grape juice
1 frozen apple juice
1 frozen orange juice
1 lb dried lima beans
1 lb cheddar cheese
1 box Kix
1 box rice krispies
3 cans tuna fish
1 can pink salmon
1 jar crunchy peanut butter
1 loaf whole wheat bread
2 bunches bananas
1 head green leaf lettuce
1 lb spinach
8 jars baby food veggies
8 jars baby food fruits
16 jars baby food meats

Cash items
5 lb bag apples and oranges $4.99
1 jar salsa $1.61
2 boxes butter $4.50
1 pkg beef franks $2.96
total $14.06

Since I paid our $50 dues to Gleaner's this week, our total grocery/household out of pocket for this month so far is $64.06. That's amazing for 10 days into the month! We will need to buy some ground beef and turkey ham pretty soon, so that will eat up a chunk of cash. We'd love to start paying up front for some locally raised meats one of these days, such as buying a 1/4 of a cow for the year. You can get decent prices on meat that you know is going to be healthier for your family when you buy it this way. Plus we'll be supporting local businesses, which is awesome.

Thursday's Tidbits
B: Kix and bananas.
L: The girls had hot dogs and apples with peanut butter. I froze the rest of the soup from the other day, but left out a portion for my lunch. As it already had a bunch of cabbage in it, I added some sauerkraut before I warmed it up. It tasted a lot like borscht that way, so I added a scoop of sour cream to it and ate it with a toasted, buttery whole wheat english muffin. I love me some good soup and bread! Mmmmm....
D: Since we had hot dogs and kraut with green beans last night, we'll be having the potato soup tonight. I'm going to use 1/2 the large bag of mashed potatoes for my base, plus some water to thin it a bit. I'll throw in a diced onion, a couple of sliced carrots and stalks of celery, some diced turkey ham from the freezer, and some chopped red potatoes and simmer it until the veggies are tender. We'll top it with sour cream and cheddar.

No comments: