Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Slow Cooked Breakfast Cereal

When I was chatting with my friend the other day, she told me that she likes to make oatmeal in her crock pot overnight using steel cut oats. It sounded wonderful, so I thought I would give it a try. It's super easy and the best thing about it is that breakfast is ready when you wake up in the morning. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! And thanks to Kristin for sharing :)


Start out by finding a big enough bowl to fit in your crock pot. Put in 1 C of cereal. I used some 12-grain cereal this time, but steel cut oats are next on my list to try. Add 4 C water and a dash of salt and stir it lightly. Fill the crock pot with water up to the line of the water that is in the bowl. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours.


 When you get up in the morning, stir the cereal and it will look like this. So easy! This batch was enough for 2 medium sized bowls for hubby and I and 3 smaller bowls for the kids. If you have a larger family, just use the crock pot itself so you can add more. I liked this because of the easy clean-up ;)


 We try all kinds of things in our cereal. This goodness is ground flax, raw honey, raisins, and cinnamon.

No comments: